From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google Code shutdown requires 524 ebuilds to be fixed before end of 2016
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2016 01:29:47
1 On 05/11/16 01:20, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> Apologies, getting ahead of myself here .. there must be a portage
4 >> utility, but I've forgotten which one interrogates metadata .. I'll
5 >> defer to a more authoritative source ...
6 >>
7 > There might be a command line utility if you're doing things the shell way.
8 >
9 > But, from that python script I linked the relevant part is:
10 >
11 > from portage.xml.metadata import MetaDataXML
12 >
13 > metxml = path+"/"+category+"/"+pkgname+"/metadata.xml"
14 > maints=[]
15 > try:
16 > pkg_md = MetaDataXML(metxml,"/usr/portage/metadata/herds.xml")
17 > for maint in pkg_md.maintainers():
18 > maints.append(maint.email)
19 > except IOError: pass
20 >
21 > Just feed that api call with a metadata.xml. Hopefuly it works with
22 > the projects.xml syntax as herds.xml is of course defunct. I'd
23 > check the portage API docs as there might be some improvements there.
24 >
25 > The portage api is actually fairly powerful and far superior to a lot
26 > of stuff that gets done with grep. It just needs a bit of time
27 > getting used to it since there aren't a lot of docs/examples/etc
28 > floating around. The script that came out of was designed to find
29 > packages that depend on packages that expose subslots but which don't
30 > define slot operator deps. Granted, not everything in that list
31 > should be using them, and by now I imagine it is almost entirely false
32 > positives, but it shows the sort of thing you can do with a couple of
33 > lines of python that would be an incredible pain to do any other way.
34 > I believe paludis also exposes some APIs that probably could also be
35 > used.
36 >
37 Bit beyond my python-fu .. but I get where you're going with that. If I
38 wasn't banging my head against cups/hplip, I might give it a shot ... :P !!