From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] obs eclasses
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:45:13
1 On 15:02 Tue 13 Sep , Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
2 > Excerpts from Joshua Kinard's message of 2011-09-13 14:26:02 +0200:
3 > > > You don't need -n/-z with [[.
4 > > >
5 > > > [[ $var ]] == [[ -n $var ]]
6 > > > [[ ! $var ]] == [[ -z $var ]]
7 > >
8 > > What about other comparisons, like -f, -e, or -d?
9 >
10 > Same as inside [, but no need of quotes inside [[.
11 >
12 > > Also, is this a bash4-only thing, or bash3 and/or bash2 as well?
13 >
14 > I'm not sure.
15 >
16 > OT: When I was going through recruitment process, dberkholz pointed to
17 > me that I use things bash4-only. And again: why we need to stick to
18 > ancient 3 version? I would understand pseudo POSIX compatibility, but
19 > what is the benefit of bash3 compatibility while bash4 is stable
20 > already?
21
22 It's because people want to pretend that it's possible for incredibly
23 outdated systems (those with bash-3 only) to be updated.
24
25 We're stuck in this limbo because "we" have apparently decided that just
26 waiting a year, as we used to do, isn't good enough anymore; but at the
27 same time, we don't have a better mechanism in place yet. So we're
28 waffling around, doing nothing.
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33