From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI inside ebuild filename (.EAPI-ebuild of different?)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:54:36
1 While it's may be a good idea to set EAPI inside filename and if we ever
2 decide on this, consider different implementation.
3
4 I really dislike idea of EAPI-suffixed extensions. It's easier for me
5 (and I think for others too) to differentiate ebuilds between other
6 files in directory when ebuild files have common suffix. We are people
7 so we should simplify things that are not hidden under the hood, like
8 this...
9
10 This hack is just to solve portage problem which does not ignore .ebuild
11 files which does not follow pkg-ver.ebuild syntax and suggested solution
12 is not the only solution. Other possibilities are, which I like more:
13
14 1. USE pkg-ver.<EAPI>-ebuild
15
16 2. USE pkg-ver${EAPITAG}<EAPI>.ebuild
17 Here ${EAPITAG} is string to simplify parsing <EAPI> from
18 version. E.g. EAPITAG could be _eapi or EAPI or something
19 else.
20
21 Although second solution does not solve the problem with portage I like
22 it more, as we all have habit to look at .ebuild suffix. But this is
23 different problem. Once we define good NEW format for filename it's
24 possible to decide on transition path which allows us to use eapi right
25 now. E.g. start using this format only with .ebuild-ng suffix and after
26 three years pass it's possible to rename all .ebuild-ng into .ebuild.
29 And another idea which was already mentioned somewhere in this thread. I
30 think .ebuild should be written only in BASH. Again if we ever decide to
31 use ebuilds with different syntax we should use different suffix.
34 Peter.