From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:33:29
On 05/29/2012 07:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 02:05:08 -0700 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote: > >> On 05/29/2012 01:43 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote: >>> I'm using usersync since a long time, how about add it too? >> >> Yeah, I think that would be a good default too. I guess the portage >> ebuild can do a recursive adjustment of $PORTDIR permissions in >> pkg_postinst, in order to solve bug #277970 [1]. > > Wouldn't that break users who sync using a regular user?
No, because the "usersync" feature causes the rsync process to inherit the UID and GID of the PORTDIR directory (obtained using the stat function).
> And then break > again, and again every time portage is merged?
No, I would not want to trigger an relatively expensive operation like this more that once. So, it would only be triggered in pkg_postinst if the replaced version of portage did not have usersync enabled by default. -- Thanks, Zac