From: andrew fabbro <afabbro@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 1.1a Feedback
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 01:00:00
1 Hi! I installed Gentoo 1.1a a couple weekends ago. I thought you might
2 appreciate some feedback. I was very impressed with Gentoo, so don't take
3 this as harsh criticism, just feedback towards making it even better:
4
5 - I was completely unable to emerge (even emerge rsync) until I changed
6 the server in make.conf as follows:
7
8 #SYNC="rsync://cvs.gentoo.org/gentoo-x86-portage"
9 SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-x86-portage"
10
11 I couldn't find this documented anywhere...I found this solution by
12 googling.
13
14 - It would be nice if bootstrap.sh updated some progress file so you
15 could check periodically to see where it was at. e.g., "done with
16 gcc stage1, now working on gcc stage2," etc. That way you could open
17 another console window and tail the file.
18
19 - Some of the dependencies are strange. Why do I need gpm for vim? I've
20 used vim for many years without gpm and this server doesn't even have a
21 mouse ;) Why do I need the blackdown JDK for postgres? That one I find
22 really inexplicable.
23
24 - Hooray for setting up su with a wheel group using PAM! I want to kiss
25 you. However, it should be in the docs ;)
26
27 - I disagree with your approach to /etc/shells, /etc/passwd, and /etc/group.
28 It seems like you pre-create every possible pseudo-user/group and shell
29 that might ever be needed. I'm never going to run qmail, and I don't need
30 a bunch of qmail accounts. If I did run qmail, I wouldn't need all those
31 postfix-related accounts ;) I think an installer should warn the user about
32 adding a group, or add it automatically (there's a longer debate in there),
33 but trying to foresee every possible package and adding users really goes
34 against the "you build it from scratch" philosophy (IMO).
35
36 - I will say that I also disagree someone with YASSP - Yet Another Startup
37 Script Paradigm. Going SysV instead of Berkeley is definitely the right
38 way to go for a zillion reasons. But what was wrong with rc1.d, etc.? I
39 don't see the need for the change. Your system is fine, it's just that I
40 don't see the need for reinvention.
41
42 - The syntax to find which /etc file(s) need to be changed could be rolled
43 into emerge itself. i.e., why say "hey there's a file in /etc you need
44 to change" - why not instead say "hey, there's a file in /etc you need
45 to change and here let me run the find command for you and here's the
46 output..."
47
48 - I think the pkglist, etc. commands should be in root's default path.
49 /usr/lib is not the most intuitive place to look for them.
50
51 - you might want to add a note in the docs that you need to eject the CD
52 before the final reboot.
53
54 - what's with the .keep in all these dirs?
55
56 - I'm not sure all the packages in the base system (when you "emerge system")
57 are necessary. Particularly, I have no need of dhcp, sash, or reiserfsprogs.
58 You might want to add a "it's OK to delete these later if you don't need
59 them" section to the doc, otherwise it makes it seem like they are part of
60 the vital base system.
61
62 - is there a cdrecord package? I can't find one.
63
64 Again, great job overall - I really like gentoo and am enjoying it greatly.
67 Drew Fabbro | drew@××××××××××××××.com
68 "It is well to remember that the entire universe, with
69 one trifling exception, is composed of others."
70 -- John Andrew Holmes