From: drobbins@g.o
To: achim@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] phew!
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:22:15
On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 07:57:48AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:

> Hmm, there is no devfs bootdisk here :-) I think we should not switch to > devfs in rc4. I'm not planning to recheck all packages, and I think it is a > good idea to make the required changes to a few packages that do not support > devfs during a complete recheck which I whant to do before final 1.0 or rc5.
OK, that's fine.
> There is one problem with supvervise I detected yesterday. I ran a > package-build of all current-packages.new over night and forgott to append a > ebuild clear after package build, so my disk ran out of space. This causes > supervise/multlog to output a warning like "can not append to > /var/log/syslog.d/current" in an endless loop. If this happens with syslog > the system keeps quiet. I want to test md/lvm together with reiserfs/nfs. > And I want to test the new kernel on the primekom machine that did freeze > during kernel-boot.
I think that the solution to this is for me to make Portage clean up after itself.
> How about a working recursive pkgmerge?
Yes, I forgot about this. It's 93% done :) I had to stop work on it because the next day, I started building the new server and my motherboard died.
> Another question, what kernel do you use at the moment test12, prerelease or > final ac1/2/3.?
I'm using test12.
> I made a new package for 2.4.0ac3 called 2.4.0.3. This includes all neccesary > fixes for reiserfs as announced in the reiserfs-mailinglist. It includes a > modified reiserfs/nfs patch. I run it here since a few hours without > problems, but did not test more extensive yet. I had a few strange problems > with prerelease and 2.4.0ac1/2 kernels which did not occur with ac3.
OK; I have a feeling that we will see rapid kernel development from 2.4.0 to about 2.4.3 as people find new bugs since the kernel is now being used by a wider audience. Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Technologies, Inc.