From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: <DKIM> [gentoo-dev] Hello Everyone
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:26:03
1 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 02/22/15 12:08, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
3 >> * Fun is lost for a long time.
4 >
5 > This is is extremely false.
6
7 It's a very subjective matter. I don't doubt that Gentoo is fun for
8 some or many or even all developers. I also have no doubt that the
9 process of becoming a developer isn't fun for Nicolas.
10
11 The two are not mutually exclusive, and it's important to allow room
12 for both to exist, and focus on if and how things can change to be
13 even better for everyone involved.
14
15 Nicolas wrote a subjective email which was a little tongue-in-cheek,
17 room for Nicolas to feel the way he does (must not say that he is
18 wrong in how he feels) *and* to also express it.
19
20 I personally also don't find Gentoo fun. It's interesting and
21 educational and powerful but not fun.
22
23 Using Gentoo's state-of-the-art tools I get to discover bugs nobody
24 has ever seen before, because I do something that nobody has done
25 before and (upstream) developers are either incompetent or lazy or
26 both.
27
28 Fixing problems caused by others is not fun, but at the end of the
29 day that is what open source really is all about.
32 //Peter