From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (OT) Accounting systems: Ledger-CLI vs GNUcash
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 03:11:12
1 On 05/12/16 03:06, james wrote:
2 > On 12/04/2016 06:49 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 11:07:59PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
4 >>> I gather both Quickbooks and Sage have a more modular approach to
5 >>> "proper" accounting software applicable to small and large
6 >>> businesses. I
7 >>> know my mother used Quickbooks in the past with good success and the
8 >>> support of her accountant, but Sage is known to be equally
9 >>> accessible. I
10 >>> would imagine there is an appropriate version for not-for-profit or
11 >>> charities, perhaps you can seek advice with the person(s) already
12 >>> contacted for accounting/finance purposes?!
13 >> Our CPA (Yes, we do have one) only recommends QuickBooks, but has used a
14 >> variety of other proprietary systems (none of which he recommends at
15 >> all!).
16 >>
17 >> The catch is that either Quickbooks or Sage would be a violation of the
18 >> social contract's libre-licence dependence clause.
19 >>
20 >> Ledger HAS filled most of our needs thus far, but lacks in reporting and
21 >> some automation:
22 >> - I'd love to automatically generate lots of depreciation
23 >> entries, but can't yet.
24 >> - Something to anonymize private information in some entries, so that
25 >> the actual Ledgers can be published for transparency.
28 > All of that is routine and easy with GNUcash....
31 > hth,
32 > James
36 Grabbing the bull by the horns here, any willing/able volunteers to aid
37 robbat2 getting ledger ported to gnucash and up-to-speed maybe? I can't
38 really volunteer as I'm not good with finance esp. not US and have one
39 too many pans in the fire right now...! :)
40
41 For zlg's benefit .. I wasn't advocating re-writing the social contract
42 (yet) just questioning whether that may be an unhelpful constraint in
43 quite an important process, but I sit corrected in that there are libre
44 solutions to this issue in use in similar environments .. so we just
45 need to transition ..
46
47 2c50 !