From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] why is the security team running around p.masking packages
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 15:40:31
1 On 07/06/2016 10:11 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 07/06/2016 03:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I understand that. However, I just sometimes wonder whether that
6 >>> approach makes sense. The result of the current system is that we
7 >>> don't release GLSAs until well after a bug is fixed, sometimes after
8 >>> months.
9 >> It makes sense for long term server management where you don't want to
10 >> update the full tree too often, but I agree GLSAs needs to be put out
11 >> more timely
12 >>
13 > Another way to do it is to have a system like this:
14 > 1. Vulnerability is logged into database.
15 > 2. After embargo period (if any), entry is published. Tools
16 > available to the user make them aware they have a vulnerable package
17 > installed and the realtime status of whether a fix is available.
18 > 3. Once a package is stable, the tools let the user auto-update the package.
19 > 4. Once all archs are cleaned up, publish the GLSA by email as usual.
20 >
21 > So, this is like the current state, except tools like glsa-check use a
22 > realtime-updated database (or at least one as up-to-date as the latest
23 > sync) and not a database that is only updated after the last arch is
24 > stable. We don't need to send users 14 emails as archs are
25 > stabilized. But, the tools they likely would want to use do use the
26 > latest info.
27 >
28 > Sure, in the early days it would just tell them they're vulnerable
29 > with no suggested fix, since we don't have a fix yet. But, that is
30 > still information the user can use to their advantage.
31 >
32 > Ideally the early phases of this would be tied into bugzilla so that
33 > somebody isn't manually updating GLSA xml files every time something
34 > changes.
35 >
36 (Speaking with my tools-portage lead hat on)
37
38 While I don't like touching glsa-check within gentoolkit, due to the
39 nature of what it does. I will fully support and work with the security
40 team on updating the tool if something like this is desired.
41
42 Regards
43
44 Paul