From: Eric Polino <aluink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:55:15
1 On 7/19/07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > joshua jackson <tsunam@g.o> posted 46A0DE7B.6030009@g.o,
3 > excerpted below, on Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:10:35 -0700:
4 >
5 > > Honestly..this is not something to get picky over jakub. Upstream was
6 > > nice and actually came and politely asked us to change the defaults to
7 > > what most people would consider sane (all protocols by default). As I
8 > > think most people emerging pidgin..would like to use any protocol by
9 > > default..not go..hey I don't have yahoo, I should check my use flags.
10 > > Which obviously hasn't happened as users pop up in #pidgin to ask why
11 > > the heck there isn't a yahoo account available.
12
13 This is precisely my point, glad to hear it's gotten across to someone.
14
15 > [Dev-discussion, so kept posted here.]
16 >
17 > I've not seen this question come up yet, so I'll raise it.
18 >
19 > Shouldn't the question really depend on whether optional dependencies are
20 > pulled in by the protocols or not? If everything's pidgin internal, then
21 > if upstream wants all the protocols on as shipped, I think that's the
22 > sane thing to do.
23 >
24 > OTOH, if enabling those protocols pulls in all sorts of additional
25 > packages to support them, shipping with everything on just because it's
26 > possible is not the Gentoo way. That's what USE flags are for. If
27 > indeed additional dependencies are pulled in, IMO the USE flags should
28 > remain,
29
30 Yes there would be a few other small supporting packages. They, at
31 most, would use a few extra 100K of RAM and a small amount of disk
32 space. Considering that pidgin is a GTK+ application, it would imply
33 someone is running X and thus can afford to use a little extra RAM
34 being used. They are small packages and would probably take less than
35 a minute or two of extra compile time. Considering that Pidgin takes
36 about 5-10 minutes to compile give or take, this is negligible.
37
38 >and maybe someone needs to explain the Gentoo way to upstream.
39
40 I agree with the Gentoo way in most cases, hence why I use Gentoo.
41 But in this case the Gentoo way fails. It creates more problems than
42 it solves. Like was mentioned above, if people read ewarns or ran -pv
43 we wouldn't be having this problem, but most don't. Unfortunately,
44 their negligence becomes our headache and this is what I'm trying to
45 solve. I don't think the drawbacks of installing a few extra packages
46 for the greater good of less headaches for both users and upstream are
47 worth not making this change.
48
49 Once again thank you for your time,
50 Eric
53 > --
54 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
55 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
56 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
57 >
58 > --
59 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
65 http://aluink.blogspot.com
68 "...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
69 domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."
70 --Haskell 98 Library Report
71 --
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list