From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] autotools.eclass no longer inherits eutils; check your ebuilds!
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 08:29:46
1 On 22.5.2012 8.53, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >>>
4 >> Excuse me but the way this change was handled is a bit depressing.
5 >> First, the ebuilds should have been fixed to inherit eutils and then
6 >> remove eutils from autotools. Now, a bunch of ebuilds are broken out
7 >> of nowhere. I don't believe this issue was that urgent in order to
8 >> justify the significant breakage of portage tree.
9 >
10 > First of all, to quote devmanual:
11 >
12 > | Before updating eutils or a similar widely used eclass, it is best to
13 > | email the gentoo-dev list. It may be that your proposed change is
14 > | broken in a way you had not anticipated> [...]. If you don't email
15 > | gentoo-dev first, and end up breaking something, expect to be in a
16 > | lot of trouble.
17 >
18 > Not that this disrespect for this rule is something new...
21 Even more important is the next chapter:
22
23 "When removing a function or changing the API of an eclass, make sure
24 that it doesn't break any ebuilds in the tree, and post a notice to
25 gentoo-dev at least 30 days in advance, preferably with a patch included."
26
27 This qualifies as changing the API of an eclass. This chapter comes from
28 a council decision:
29
30 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20111108-summary.txt
31