From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 18:49:07
1 >>>>> On Mon, 09 Dec 2019, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2
3 > Like said, if an ID is already taken for any reason on user's system,
4 > that's not a problem. acct-* can handle that... there's nothing like a
5 > collision.
6
7 You can call it "collision" or something else, the fact is that in this
8 scenario, the acct-* package won't get its preferred ID. Which is the
9 whole point of the migration to static IDs. You can consider this
10 unimportant, but why do we have GLEP 81 then, in the first place?
11
12 > And until user.eclass is completely gone, all packages are migrated to
13 > GLEP 81 and all users have completely reinstalled their Gentoo systems
14 > (most packages used dynamic allocation until GLEP 81), you won't have
15 > "clean", collision free systems with same ID all over the places.
16
17 Right now, new systems will have their dynamic IDs allocated from 999
18 downwards, so it is very unlikely that they will collide with the ones
19 that are statically allocated. However, they most certainly will if we
20 allow allocation in the upper range.
21
22 Also, what about users calling "useradd -r" manually, for whatever
23 purpose? They'll get IDs counting from 999 downwards as well, even after
24 the transition will be complete.
25
26 Ulrich