From: James William Dumay <i386@××××××××.org>
To: William Hubbs <w.hubbs@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT: help needed with alsa
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:00:55
1 On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 16:49 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I realize this might be OT for this list, but I have tried other lists at different times and had no luck with getting this solved. So, if you want to write back to me privately, that is fine.
8 > I am running gentoo linux on anold dell desktop with integrated audio and having trouble getting alsa to work.
9 >
10 > I am using development-sources 2.6.3.
13 > The output from lspci | grep audio is below:
14 >
15 > 00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
16 >
17 > Here is what shows up in dmesg when I boot the system (I am using udev, so hotplug finds the sound chips.) I do get the same message, however, if I use /etc/init.d/alsasound start.
18 >
19 > PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 0000:00:0b.0
20 > create - never read codec ready from AC'97
21 > it is not probably bug, try to use CS4236 driver
22 > Sound Fusion CS46xx: probe of 0000:00:0b.0 failed with error -5
23 >
24 > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
25 >
26 > Thanks much,
27 >
28 > William
31 > --
32 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
35 Yeah my sound is just not working period. Im running 2.6.3 and the
36 latest alsa-tools/utils in ~x86.
37
38 0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB AC'97
39 Audio Controller (rev 02)
40
41 This is a very well supported device in linux.
42
43 I was crusing the Changelog for the kernel and it seems that lots of the
44 AC'97 code in the snd-intel8x0 module has been moved into other parts of
45 the alsa code (to the ac97 main module, I think).
46
47 But I downgraded to 2.6.2 and discovered that the sound still did not
48 work.
49
50 I thought my motherboard had gone bad and I tested the sound ports with
51 a mulitmeter and it was at normal, non borked levels.
52
53 I have a suspicion that it is not the alsa drivers themeselves, but the
54 userspace tools for alsa that have not been updated.
55
56 Yours
57 James William Dumay
58 Breakmygentoo.net