From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:18:48
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > BDEPEND was actually a seperate proposal/idea, intention there was to
3 > have that be the deps that *must* be CHOST (gcc would be an example);
4 > bits that are used to actually build the pkg, not data it consumes in
5 > building (headers would be data).
6 >
7 Well, until now I didn't thought at the build compatibility.
8 My concern was only the runtime compatibility.
9 > Meanwhile, for this I don't see the point in using a seperate metadata
10 > key. Overload DEPEND and add a marker char that is used to indicate
11 > that a particular dependency is 'binding', ie, it is linkage.
12 >
13 Lets suppose we use & as 'binding' dependency marker. What sense would
14 DEPEND="&net-dialup/ppp" have in a context of an ebuild. It certainly
15 don't specify the necessity of package rebuild whenever net-dialup/ppp
16 version is changed.
17 Unless you save the specific compatibility version of the net-dialup/ppp
18 used by net-dialup/pptpd for building the package, I don't see how can
19 it help me.
20 Judging after /var/db/pkg content, I have no such information.