From: Rainer Groesslinger <rainer.groesslinger@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is there a process for marking ebuilds stable?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 23:01:04
On Monday 14 April 2003 00:25, Brad Laue wrote:
> Given the increasing size of the portage tree I'm becoming concerned > about the rate at which ebuilds move from the unstable ~arch keyword to > the stable one.
correct, same here. Additionally there are many ebuilds in the tree that should be removed again...for example most of the game mods (not because I don't like gamers just because e.g. osp for quake3 isn't maintained although quite some time passed already since the last osp release(s) and in a multiplayer game it's useless to have an old version of something ;)
Problem: Gentoo doesn't have maintainers ! It has been discussed to introduce a MAINTAINER="xxxx@g.o" thing in the ebuilds but it seems like the idea got dropped by the core developers (or didn't even get attention, I don't know). The only real maintainer is carpaski for portage, most other packages are worked on by more or less "Freelancers"... Sure, many people are related to something, but you can't see who is the maintainer of a certain package. Just imagine...there are some packages where version 0.1 was submitted by dev A, 0.2 by dev B and 0.2.1 by dev C and 0.3 again by dev B etc. Not, that this is bad at all, but it would be much better to have "real" maintainers like almost every other distribution has, too.
> The second is more practical and within reach; advocacy of > stable.gentoo.org, and a policy of accepting a package as stable when > five or more users have vouched for it and two weeks have passed without > a bug report.
stable.gentoo.org is _great_ ! Thanks so much to blizzy (unfortunatly he's not in the dev team any more). The problem here is that this site must be pushed quite hard because there are packages in the tree only a few people use and if those people don't use stable.gentoo.org they won't be stable anytime soon or might - in a bad case - be pushed into stable because nobody complain although it's just because nobody uses stable.gentoo.org Rainer Groesslinger -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list