From: m1027 <m1027@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LTS or: proper backward compatibility?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 12:48:43
1 Hi and happy new year.
2
3 When we create apps on Gentoo they become easily incompatible for
4 older Gentoo systems in production where unattended remote world
5 updates are risky. This is due to new glibc, openssl-3 etc.
6
7 So, what we've thought of so far is:
8
9 (1) Keeping outdated developer boxes around and compile there. We
10 would freeze portage against accidental emerge sync by creating a
11 git branch in /var/db/repos/gentoo. This feels hacky and requires a
12 increating number of develper VMs. And sometimes we are hit by a
13 silent incompatibility we were not aware of.
14
15 (2) Using Ubuntu LTS for production and Gentoo for development is
16 hit by subtile libjpeg incompatibilites and such.
17
18 (3) Distributing apps as VMs or docker: Even those tools advance and
19 become incompatible, right? And not suitable when for smaller Arm
20 devices.
21
22 (4) Flatpak: No experience, does it work well?
23
24 (5) Inventing a full fledged OTA Gentoo OS updater and distribute
25 that together with the apps... Nah.
26
27 Hm... Comments welcome.
28