From: Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis <Arfrever@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:30:31
1 2010-03-19 11:13:48 Dale napisał(a):
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 04:23:31 -0500
4 > > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>> It's being installed because it's a dependency of something you use.
7 > >>>
8 > >>> Replace Python with any other library and we wouldn't be having this
9 > >>> discussion.
10 > >>>
11 > >> OK. Right now, as you type this, what package depends on python-3
12 > >> and won't work with python-2? Anything at all? If it is nothing,
13 > >> then why install it?
14 > >>
15 > > And that's where you're making the mistake: you're treating Python as
16 > > being different from every other package.
17 > >
18 > > In every other case, you want things to be using the newest version of a
19 > > slotted package where possible. Why aren't you complaining that you were
20 > > forced to install gcc 4.3 and 4.1 when 3.4 worked just fine?
23 > Because, when I installed gcc 4.3, I could then unmerge the old gcc.
24 > That's why I didn't complain about that. With python, we still have to
25 > have the current version plus the new version which is not being used at
26 > all.
27 >
28 > Am I not correct in that? If the new python is installed, what exactly
29 > is going to use it? I used the new gcc. It worked fine. I unmerged
30 > the old one with no wasted space and one less package installed. This
31 > doesn't appear to be the case with python-3 tho. It's going to be
32 > installed and just sit there like a rock.
33
34 Python 3 is used during installation of packages, which support Python 2 and
35 Python 3 and support installation for multiple Python ABIs. You can directly
36 execute scripts with "-3.1" suffix (e.g. "bpython-3.1" or "coverage-3.1")
37 to use Python 3.1 even when Python 2.* is set as main active version of Python.
40 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar Arahesis