From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] automated extended information gathering
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:13:16
1 On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 17:43:44 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > often times when i get a bug report about certain packages, there's
5 > information about that package that i usually ask for ... i wonder if
6 > this can be automated
7 >
8 > perhaps extend the syntax of profiles/info_pkgs:
9 > <atom> [command to pass to system()]
10 > sys-libs/glibc /lib/libc.so.6
11 >
12 > then when people run `emerge --verbose --info`, for every atom
13 > matched as installed, it'd automatically run the listed command and
14 > display the output
15 >
16 > useful ? security issue waiting to explode ? crazy wacky monkey ?
17
18 I see several problems with that approach:
19 1) adding a secondary purpose to info_pkgs, history has shown that we
20 should avoid such things (think packages file)
21 2) as a consequence of 1), I assume people would add packages to
22 info_pkgs only for the new purpose, cluttering regular --info output
23 with irrelevant information
24 3) sounds more like something that should only trigger in `emerge
25 --info foo`
26 4) likely not backwards compatible
27 5) considering 3), I'd rather see such information be specified by
28 ebuilds somehow, not a global file (think about overlays). Maybe by
29 installing a script in a specific location or so.
30
31 Marius
34 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
35 --