From: jeannette <bandel@×××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] NEWBIE questions
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:22:07
1 Hi I am new to Linux and have some questions about Linux Gentoo
2
3 A friend of mine downloaded Gentoo for me because, he has a faster internet connection.
4 But I think he might have downloaded the wrong one; i686 Gentoo ISO from www.linuxiso.org
5 because it goes really fast and I can't find a resemblance with the install guide;
6 x86 install instructions and almost every command is denied .
7
8 my pc is a:
9 Intel Pentium III GHz Celeron Processor
10 Memory:
11 320 MB of RAM
12 Harddisks:
13 C: 6 Gb
14 D: 40 Gb
15
16 1. Do I have the right version???
17
18 2. I have a pci modem that is not detect during install
19 how do I install my modem???
20
21 it is a; Generic 56k HCF Data Fax Modem (says windows)
22
23 3. or is it not possible to run Gentoo with this modem?
24
25 thx,
26 Pietjan
27 (this is my mom's e-mail account)
28
29 PS: please keep it plain and simple because, I am completely new to Linux and
30 I am Dutch so English is not my strongest point, ok?
31 and maybe I can help you to translate Gentoo to Dutch...