From: Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Touching profiles
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:01:00
1 W dniu 03.02.2011 08:39, Torsten Veller pisze:
2 > * Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>:
3 >> For the record, Kacper told me today that every developer is allowed to touch
4 >> ppc/ppc64 profiles. Archies that don't want others to touch their profiles
5 >> should mention it in the devmanual. I was not aware of that, I thought that
6 >> !arch member is not allowed to touch arch-specific profiles.
7 Just to be clear I was talking about package.mask file. Kitten-forbid
8 you tweak e.g. make.defaults.
9
10 Honestly, I don't see the reasons why dev should be forbid to *add* pkgs
11 to package.mask file for other profiles that inherit base.
12 *Removing* is quite different, but again common sense advise you
13 shouldn't lift it until reason for masking is gone. That you cannot
14 verify if you're not an arch member.
15
16 > The situation is complicated:
17 <snip>
18 > - Some arch teams don't want other devs to touch "their" profiles:
19 > "DON'T TOUCH THIS FILE. Instead, file a bug and assign it to..."
20 > But this arch is neiter mentioned in the handbook nor in the manual:
21 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5#doc_chap4
22 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/archs/index.html
23
24 Clearly if something is written in bold and at the very top of the file
25 you should respect. I'm sure there are reasons for it and I've never
26 seen that particular arch being unresponsive.
27
28 > - The devhandbook[2] is also kind of unmaintained.
29 > Devmanual and -handbook are waiting for a merge AFAIR.
30 >
31 > - And there is already a stalled bug[3] about "Developer Handbook should
32 > document how/when to touch arch profiles' files"
33 >
34 > Summary: You do it wrong either way.
35
36 The problem actually boils down to asking... Arch team members are out
37 there on irc, have mail aliases, etc. This very thread was started due
38 to lack of communication. It could have looked like that:
39
40 KDE: I would like to unmask KDE-4.6.0 in base, but that requires mask in
41 ppc64/package.mask. Can I do it?
42 PPC64: Sure, go ahead.
43
44 and it would have taken approx. 30s