From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC about another *DEPEND variable
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:09:25
1 Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Alin Nastac wrote:
3 >> I reckon this could be solved by yet another *DEPEND variable. The only
4 >> atoms accepted by this variable would be "CATEGORY/PN". Every time when
5 >> a package gets updated from PV1 to PV2 (distinct versions, revisions
6 >> will not count), portage will automatically re-emerge those packages
7 >> that depend on it.
8 >>
9 >> Thoughts?
12 > It would require revdep resolution on emerge... how painful would be?
13 >
14 I don't know anything about portage intricacies, but I guess it would be
15 fairly easy to have a map of CATEGORY1/PN1 -> CATEGORY2/PN2 key-values,
16 where package 2 depends on package 1 (package 2 is the one that defines
17 the xxxDEPEND variable). In order to add such (key, value) in the map
18 the following assumptions must be satisfied:
19 - package 2 must be installed (mandatory)
20 - package 1 must be a direct or indirect RDEPEND dependency of the
21 package 2 (optional).