From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Installation of static libraries, USE=static-libs proposal
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:34:16
1 Duncan a écrit :
2 > Probably others than GNOME, too.
3
4 Thus Mart's effort to bring it to gentoo-dev :)
5
6 > This is the ticklish bit, but there's still a way around it for users
7 > (such as those trying to fit GNOME on a liveCD) that need it. Useing
8 > portage's bashrc, setup a conditional that excepts packages that need
9 > static libs and set INSTALL_MASK='*.a' for everything else.
10
11 No, it was pointed out that this cannot be done for LiveCD material, as
12 the packages would have a different content as a regular install. So
13 this is just out of the question.
14
15 For those wondering : "find /usr/lib64 -name "*.a" | xargs du -ch" will
16 tell you how much disk space is wasted by static libraries.
17
18 On my Gnome box, this is 246M. I know we won't be able to bring this to
19 0, but having it closer to 10~20M is a very worthy goal imho.
20
21 Cheers,
22
23 Rémi