From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do (old-ish) Portage QA checks comprise policy?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:47:36
1 >> 2. Those other files don't get installed to the root filesystem on the
2 >> systems that we're talking about.
3 >
4 > I do not understand what you think I'm referring to and which files you
5 > are talking about.
6 >
7 > The way I'm thinking of a root fs is, /bin, maybe /boot, /etc, /lib* and /sbin.
10 Most junk gets installed to /usr, which is mounted on a separate
11 partition on the systems we're talking about.
12
13 What useless files do we install to /bin, /boot, or /sbin?
14
15 In /lib and /etc, some SMALL files that aren't used on every system do
16 get installed unconditionally. This is an explicit trade-off: the files
17 are SMALL by definition, and installing them unconditionally means that
18 we don't have to add a bunch of USE flags, slow down portage, and bog
19 down users with choices they don't care about. It also means that users
20 can e.g. switch between init systems or install logrotate without having
21 to rebuild @world from scratch. Since the files are SMALL, this
22 trade-off is in everyone's favor.
23
24 Your static libraries aren't small, and they aren't ever going to be
25 useful to anyone. There is no trade-off here.
28 >> 3. Those other files generally aren't completely useless.
29 >
30 > A number of them are in the default installation.
33 What files in the default installation are completely useless to
34 everyone? Small files that are useless to EVERYONE are not covered by
35 our existing policy, so please feel free to drop them in src_install.