From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:40:21
1 On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:28:41 +0100
2 Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o> wrote:
3 > This also could be done as (using 'ebuild' instead of 'emerge')
4 >
5 > #! /usr/bin/env ebuild.1
6 >
7 > and PM could provide some 'ebuild.1' executable, at the bare mimimum
8 > doing nothing but
9 >
10 > #! /bin/sh
11 > exec ebuild --eapi 1 "$@"
12
13 But *why*? We've finally almost gotten people away from installing
14 things using ebuild. Why on earth would we want to bring it back?
15
16 The correct way to install a package is through the nice, friendly,
17 mask checking, dependency resolving package manager frontend. There is
18 no correct action that can be taken when an ebuild is executed on its
19 own, so ebuilds shouldn't be executable on their own.
22 Ciaran McCreesh