From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item: Portage's config-protect-if-modified feature is enabled by default
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 10:10:44
1 Zac Medico posted on Thu, 17 May 2012 23:08:51 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 05/17/2012 08:56 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> On Thu, 17 May 2012 14:44:42 -0700 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I'd like to commit this news item on 2012-05-21. See previous
8 >>> discussion here:
9 >>>
10 >>> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/
11 msg_7fe557809defad4faca2ee5c6e52d134.xml
12 >>
13 >> Hmm, I think your should elaborate more on what the effects will be to
14 >> the final user.
15 >
16 > I think they should be competent enough to understand the effects. If
17 > you want to provide a patch to the news item then, adding whatever
18 > elaboration you think is necessary, then I'll gladly apply it.
19
20 Indeed, the news item already refers people to the manpage for more
21 information.
22
23 While a good gentooer certainly appreciates good documentation, it's not
24 about handholding, and from my point of view the manpage documentation
25 really is pretty good. If they don't know what to do with a referral to
26 a manpage (or from the direct lookup in that manpage to the general
27 config-protect info in the same manpage, and from there to the config
28 files section of the emerge manpage where there's several paragraphs of
29 coverage), I'd say "ubuntu's over that-a-way, and mint's over there!"
30
31 New items should be brief and to the point, serving more as a road sign
32 with only an arrow letting people know there's a change in direction
33 ahead with an expectation that the driver seeing it can follow the arrow
34 and look at what's coming once so alerted, than a complete reference work
35 of their own. Really, as a user, that's what I want and need, that road-
36 sign telling me what direction the road is turning, not a full
37 description of all the engineering data contained in the road-building
38 documents, that I couldn't read at road speed anyway.
39
40 And that's what this is, as it is. =:^)
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman