From: Jan Henkins <janh@×××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo install methods
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 04:16:22
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm in the process of getting "geared" in getting Gentoo up and running.
4 The reasons for me actually trying Gentoo are quite diverse, like being
5 bored with Mandrake, cheesed at RedHat, dissappointed with Slackware (no
6 native pam) etc. However, I'm a big OpenBSD fan, and what I see from
7 your portage system looks very much like what Theo and his boys are
8 using (with some steroids in your case). Very nice so far! I'll let you
9 know how things are progressing, because in my case installation is
10 going to take quite a while (P133 with 32Mb RAM).
11
12 Just a thought (I'm sure you were posed this question before...), how
13 about making a set of source CD's available that can be accessed by
14 portage as an alternative source of software? Debian's APT can do this,
15 and even if I don't like Debian much I find that a very powerful
16 feature. The main reason is that in developing countries like where I am
17 (South Africa) Internet bandwidth is at a huge premium. Most people here
18 would balk at the idea of installing an entire OS over the net, just
19 having to do it yet again next time they install. Over here the run of
20 the mill line clocks in at only 64 Kilobits per second (8 kilobytes),
21 which is only a little bit faster than a 56k analogue modem. Get my
22 drift? Anyway, have you looked at devising an ISO update scheme like
23 Sorcery (or whatever they are calling themselves today...) Linux? They
24 follow almost the same basic idea as you guys, but you can download
25 their installation media as an ISO or sets of ISO's, and then update the
26 ISO images with xdelta patches. That means you only download ISO images
27 once. Neat idea! But even if one has to have a set of static Gentoo ISO
28 images for basic installs, that would be preferable over not having them
29 at all. You can always simply update certain packages later on (like
30 OpenSSH etc.).
31
32 Nuff said for now. I'll pop you an Email when I'm finished with my
33 installation "project".
36 Regards,
37 Jan Henkins
38 Project Manager: Transtel Linux Project
39 Tel: (011) 359-1024
40 Cell: (083) 379-6890