From: "Dawid Węgliński" <cla@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keyword policy for non standard things
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:43:58
1 On Wednesday 22 of October 2008 11:54:39 Alistair Bush wrote:
2 > Dawid Węgliński wrote:
3 > > Hello fellow developers and users.
4 > >
5 > > I'd like to know your opinion of bug #243050 [1]
6 > >
7 > > 01:18:59 cla @| If user bothers to patch his kernel, he can
8 > > bother to add proper package.keyword line, imo.
9 >
10 > ++
11 >
12 > > 01:21:52 hparker @| Or maybe get the patches added to
13 > > gentoo-sources
14 >
15 > or ++
16 >
17 > maybe we can get the pm's to implement this as EAPI="999,999,999.99"
18 > I suggest a syntax of "virtual/kernel:::::::user_patched"
21 As far as i understand what Donnie said yesterday on irc, these patches are
22 going to be merged in 2.6.28, so problem in this case should be fixed in near
23 future. But this doesn't resolv global issue that happens for packages
24 requiring users input (such as patching kernel themself).
25
26 Most devs i was talking with would mark the bug as INVALID until kernel (here
27 {gentoo,vamilla}-sources support package in question.
28
29 > On a more serious note, How can we confirm a package is stable when we
30 > can't confirm the kernel it depends on is?
31
32 We can't, also security team wouldn't support it:
33
34 "Adding a new kernel source into the tree is not recommended by the Gentoo
35 Security Team. Unless it is a kernel source you think could be used by a wide
36 number of users, please end your consideration here and simply use an
37 overlay. If you do believe that it is, you must be willing to become the
38 security maintainer."
41 > I would have no problem with gentoo-sources also including a use flag(s)
42 > ( or not ) and having it add patches to support software we have within
43 > the tree. I have no say in that tho.
44 >
45 > Alistair