From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: renaming "rc" binary in OpenRC
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 01:38:38
1 On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/12/2013 04:41 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> We got a request from Debian to rename the "rc" binary of OpenRC due to
6 >> a naming conflict they have. They have a port of the at&t plan 9 shell,
7 >> which has a binary named "rc" as well[1].
8 >>
9 >> My thought is to rename our "rc" to "openrc", since that would be
10 >> unique.
11 >
12 > Make it build-time configurable. Keep default at "rc". Let Debian and
13 > others rename it as they want/need.
14 >
15 >> I know at least one thing that will break is everyone's inittab, so
16 >> should I sed their inittab in our live ebuild or expect them to fix it
17 >> and give a warning?
18 >
19 > It's change to change things, it doesn't fix any bugs we have.
20 >
21 > So don't break things for fun, please ...
22
23 Honestly, with Linux systems a symlink won't matter. Just rename the
24 binary to "openrc" so that we are closer with Debian. It would be nice
25 if in the future docs and blogs and other things could share the same
26 info.
27
28 For Gentoo just symlink rc -> openrc and call it a day. There's also
29 no reason to remove the symlink in the next release like others have
30 said. Keep the thing around for as long as is possible. Cause if you
31 drop it, you're liable to break someone upgrading an old system and
32 they have a higher chance to miss an important ewarn and you know how
33 much I hate breaking upgrades.
36 Doug Goldstein