From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git braindump: 2 of N: developer interaction (merge co-ordinators)
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 22:59:30
1 On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 12:36:04AM +0200, Michael Weber wrote:
2 > On 06/04/2012 03:25 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > While I do grok the potential issue of someone being a hog
4 > > (specifically via blasting commit by commit rather than building up
5 > > work locally, then pushing it in chunks), frankly... I'm not that
6 > > concerned about it, and would rather deal w/ it if/when it occurs.
7 > > The nature of our commits for the most part are standalone from
8 > > others- that's not true of the kernel/mozilla, thus why I don't
9 > > think their issues are necessarily ours.
10 > True.
11 >
12 > We already have maintainers and herds as responsible (sole editors)
13 > entities for locations (packages).
14 >
15 > But, we have arch teams editing ebuild/KEYWORDS, which alters
16 > Manifest/EBUILD lines. Resulting in potential clashes (not
17 > fast-forwardable), if the herd or maintainer does bumps or cleanups.
18 >
19 > Will these Manifest lines (and the arch team inflicted Manifest changes)?
20
21 Converting to git, we'll switch over to thin manifests- they're *just*
22 the checksums for the distfiles, no need for the rest since git
23 already provides that verification implicitly.
24
25 That just leaves conflict w/in ebuilds, which is a valid "the dev
26 needs to deal with this themselves" scenario imo.
29 > According to robbat2 data (gentoo-commit tarball) we have ~400k
30 > commits in gentoo-x86 (w/o proj,xml) in 4.7 years, that's 6.2 per hour
31 > averaged.
32 > But I've to look into the data to see trends (# developers, daylight).
33
34 One thing to note- that's *individual* commits, and probably a mildly
35 jacked up number due to the double tap requirement of commiting
36 manifests to CVS.
37
38 What I'm driving at is that there's a difference between
39 commits/revisions, and pushs; I expect our push rate to be less; I'd
40 be surprised if we're doing 1:1 commit/push rate. The conflict rate
41 should be less painful for people in that light, or at least has been
42 in my experience thus far.
45 Btw, good catch on package.mask. Hhadn't thought of that, that
46 *will* be the most contentious point. That can be dealt w/ via
47 having git on portage-1 profile format so we'd have package.mask as
48 directories (which Ciaran will validly hate, and I won't like
49 due to having to write the portage-1 -> PMS translater for
50 rsync distribution), or coming up w/ a different way to split the
51 commits across multiple files, rather than a single.
52
53 That's assuming package.mask becomes a significant conflict point
54 also. Frankly I'd rather deal w/ that problem when it arrises, rather
55 than trying to optimize for it now.
56
57 ~harring