From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sets in the tree
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:50:30
1 On 08/15/2013 04:56 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 14 August 2013 21:41, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 08/14/2013 10:17 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >>>>>>>> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, hasufell wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>>>>> And their lack of time (to be polite) should not block general
7 >>>>>>>> progress in gentoo.
8 >>>>>>>
9 >>>>>>> Perhaps these basic notions of how Gentoo development works
10 >>>>>>
11 >>>>>> You certainly are not an authority when it comes to that
12 >>>>>> question...
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> Well no
15 >>>
16 >>>> exactly
17 >>>
18 >>> Stop it. Now.
19 >>>
20 >>> gentoo-dev is a list for technical topics, so please take your
21 >>> personal quarrels elsewhere.
22 >>>
23 >>> Ulrich
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> Why don't you respond to my technical points then? PMS is blocking
28 >> progress, again, because it does not reflect reality.
29 >>
30 >> I don't even see a reason why we should keep up that effort.
33 > Because if you want to allow multiple package managers as an option,
34
35 If - but why would we do that?
36
37 > then you need to have a clearly defined spec for them. The fact that
38 > portage implemented something
39 > that is not part of PMS, is not a PMS problem.
40
41 It is a problem in the cases where portage had a feature *before* PMS
42 was defined, and then PMS tries to ignore it (see my last mail)
43
44 It is a problem when PMS does not define the configuration, so two
45 PMS-compatible programs can arrive at opposite results for any operation.
46 (Why does PMS not define config? Well, then paludis would have a problem)
47
48 > So unless it becomes
49 > part of PMS, it can't be used in places where you expect PMS
50 > compliance.
51
52 Unless PMS reflects reality it serves no purpose but ego stroking and
53 supressing deviant ideas that some people call "progress"
54
55 > If you want PMS to go away, and call portage the one-and-true PM for
56 > Gentoo, then it's probably something for the Council to decide.
57 >
58 De facto it is like that - if it doesn't work with portage it gets
59 fixed, masked and/or removed.
60
61 Using anything else might work, or not, but it also removes you from
62 support (e.g. #gentoo, bugs.gentoo.org (any maintainer is free to ignore
63 or RESO INVA bugs that are not filed with portage) and so on)
64
65 Claiming that the absence of a written policy invalidates reality is a
66 rather amusing theory that makes little sense.