From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo World Domination. a 10 step guide
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 11:30:07
1 Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > There have been a number of developers leaving Gentoo in the past 6
3 > months as well as a number of news stories on DistroWatch, Slashdot,
4 > LWN, and others about Gentoo's internal problems. No one seems to have
5 > pin pointed the problem, but it seems glaringly obvious to me. We
6 > simply don't have enough developers to support the many projects that
7 > we have. Here are my ideas for fixing this problem:
8 >
9 > - Cut the number of packages in half (put the removed ebuilds in
10 > community run overlays)
11
12 No, thank you. We are already decimating packages in certain areas but
13 isn't a good solution.
16 > - Formal approval process (or at least strict criteria) for adding
17 > new packages
18
19 let the herds decide...
22 > - Make every dev a member of at least 1 arch team
23
24 Ok
27 > - Double the number of developers with aggressive recruiting
28
29 NO! I want to know people I'm working with. Double the people doing
30 recruiting and evaluation! (I have at least one guy in wait phase)
33 > - No competing projects
34
35 No projects that don't coordinate between them.
38 > - New projects must have 5 devs, a formal plan, and be approved by the
39 > council
40
41 some projects starts by one and then grow...
44 > - Devs can only belong to 5 projects at most
45
46 No.
49 > - Drop all arches and Gentoo/Alt projects except Linux on amd64,
50 > ppc32/64, sparc, and x86
51
52 No.
55 > - Reduce the number of projects by eliminating the dead, weak,
56 > understaffed, and unnecessary projects
57
58 too much subjective so, No.
61 > - Project status reports once a month for every project
62
63 bureocracy....
64
65 In short, interesting ideas, I don't like more than half of them.
66
67 what about:
68
69 let treecleaners do their job,
70
71 recruiters get more people,
72
73 put the devmanual where it belongs,
74
75 have better coordination between projects to the point stepping on
76 others feet is quite hard and not dead easy as today?
77
78 those point and less noise on gentoo-dev.
79
80 lu
84 Luca Barbato
85