From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Helix Player ebuild?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:06:25
1 Quoting Luke-Jr <Luke-Jr@×××.net>:
2
3 > > Has anyone considered packaging the Helix Player
4 > > <https://player.helixcommunity.org/>? This seems like this has the
5 > > potential of
6 > > being a really good thing for the state of Linux multimedia...
7 > You do realize that Linux multimedia is quite further than it is on
8 > Windows, right? MPlayer and Xine can play virtually any kind of file
9 > (though some require proprietary codecs).
10 > Only thing we don't have is a standardized codec API, but I doubt
11 > Helix
12 > provides that. =p
13
14 Well, I guess what I was hoping was that this would give us legal access to some
15 of those proprietary drivers (although I guess RealPlayer already does). But
16 heck, it's always good to have another choice :-)
20 Joel Konkle-Parker
21 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
22
23 Phone [662-518-1636]