From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:09:50
1 "Fernando J. Pereda" <ferdy@g.o> posted
2 20071219165019.GB4601@××××××.org, excerpted below, on Wed, 19 Dec 2007
3 17:50:19 +0100:
4
5 > On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 11:03:54AM -0500, Jim Ramsay wrote:
6 >>
7 >> The sense I've gotten from this discussion so far is that if you want
8 >> features from two EAPIs you know *can* be combined without collisions,
9 >> you should define a third EAPI that is a superset of the other 2.
10 >
11 > *nod* But that is different from arbitrary mixing them, which is what
12 > originated this subthread.
13
14 Quoting CiaranM from a different subthread, defining EAPI:
15
16 > A cat/pkg-ver has exactly one EAPI. That EAPI belongs to the
17 > cat/pkg-ver as a whole, and is static across that cat/pkg-ver.
18
19 Now, we already had someone mention using two together, prefix (which
20 seems to have been defined as an EAPI for the purposes of this
21 discussion, I don't deal with it so haven't the foggiest about it,
22 personally) and EAPI-1. If that portion of Ciaran's definition quoted
23 above stands, that usage would be defined as illegal, thus anything using
24 it "broken".
25
26 The work-around as Jim mentions above would be defining a third EAPI
27 combining as a superset the other two. One could then create ebuilds
28 using that third EAPI. Of course, until at least one of the available
29 package managers supports that third EAPI, ebuilds created to use it
30 wouldn't be of much use, and until portage, being the official Gentoo PM,
31 supported it, said ebuilds could not be placed in the Gentoo-x86 tree.
32
33 The question, then, is whether anyone, particularly those working with
34 PMs other than paludis (Ciaran being the lead on it so presumably his
35 EAPI definition works for it), disagrees with that portion of Ciaran's
36 EAPI definition. I've seen no such direct disagreement so far, with the
37 presumed exception of the person mentioning already combining two
38 (without creating a third out of them) in prefix, of course.
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list