From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] CFLAGS paragraph for the GWN
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:50:55
1 On Saturday 30 September 2006 16:35, Lionel Bouton wrote:
2 > There is a lot of material out there about CFLAGS
3
4 `man gcc` always seemed fine to me
5
6 in fact, lets read the -ffast-math section:
7 -ffast-math
8 This option should never be turned on by any -O option since it can
9 result in incorrect output for programs which depend on an exact
10 implementation of IEEE or ISO rules/specifications for math func-
11 tions.
12
13 this flag is never safe to use in CFLAGS
14
15 > link='http://gentoo-wiki.com/CFLAGS_matrix'
16
17 no way will our documentation link to gentoo-wiki.com
18
19 > If possible, I'd like to expand the list of 3.4.6 -> 4.1.1 upgrade
20 > problems which are linked to experimental CFLAGS
21
22 i find maintaining a list of "safe" CFLAGS on a per-gcc basis to be a waste of
23 time ... but that's just me
24 -mike