From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] some global useflags
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:18:46
1 On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:19:27 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:47:06 -0700
5 > "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
7 > > > Utterly illegal, needs to die.
8 > >
9 > > Why? I don't agree that it needs to be the global useflags, but I
10 > > don't consider it illegal either.
11 >
12 > It's illegal. Generated metadata must be constant and can't vary based
13 > upon user configuration, because if it does the package manager will
14 > show the wrong information at --pretend time.
15
16 There are also other issues, e.g. it breaks the generation of the
17 @installed package set as the installed slots can't be found in the
18 tree. As portage-2.2 makes increased use of slot atoms internally for
19 vdb handling we got a few bugreports simply due to the cache constraint
20 violation by USE=multislot.
21
22 Marius