From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:07:14
Rémi Cardona wrote:
> Le 26/10/2009 22:58, Richard Freeman a écrit : >> Gentoo is about choice. > > No it isn't. Gentoo is about empowering users, giving them the ability > and tools to _change_ the distro to _their_ needs. > > Gentoo does _not_ cater to all the possible needs. > > This is somewhat off-topic, but it irks me every time I see/hear it, so > there.
Well, I'm not sure I see any contradiction. When people say that gentoo is about choice, it means that we should give the end-user flexibility whenever it is feasible. Of course that doesn't mean that there should be a lunar-lander-in-a-box use flag. However, if KDE 4.2 includes a lunar lander module we should in fact add such a flag for the benefit of those of us who don't own space programs. So, Gentoo isn't about choice. Gentoo is about empowering users. And we do that by giving them a choice whenever we can afford to. So, Gentoo is about choice. Q.E.A. ;)