From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Local bindist descriptions
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:33:54
1 On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:10:21 +0100
2 Alexander Berntsen <alexander@××××××.net> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 30/12/12 15:01, Alexis Ballier wrote:
8 > > Maybe you could suggest a nice beforehand UI for REQUIRED_USE
9 > > constraints.
10 > I think this is orthogonal to the discussion. If ffmpeg had a local
11 > description of bindist,
12 > # equery u ffmpeg
13 > would output an explanation -- and I believe this is the most common
14 > way to check USE-flags on beforehand.
15
16 as said before, the global useflag description should be updated (GRP
17 is long dead...)
20 > >> If you happen to have the constraints satisfied for some reason,
21 > >> you will never even get an error.
22 > >
23 > > Meaning you can redistribute the binary.
24 > Yes, but you will never be made aware of the issue.
25
26 Good for you since there is no issue :)
27
28 > >> Furthermore, just *why* is the constraint there? Patent
29 > >> infringement? Licence incompatibility?
30 > >
31 > > Because you can't redistribute the binary if the constraint is not
32 > > satisfied :)
33 > Yes, but why not? What is it with this constraint that makes it
34 > inherently not re-distributable unless it is satisfied?
35 >
36 > > bindist does absolutely nothing by itself there. do you really want
37 > > a description like "Enforces license compatibility constraints" ?
38 > That would satisfy the *what* of a local bindist. If you are able to
39 > satisfy the *why* as well, that would be nice.
40
41 the *why* is not the purpose of a useflag imho: you cant link to openssl
42 from a gpl binary because its a 4 clauses bsd license; i dont remember
43 on top of my head but other constraints also have different reasons;
44 being "license incompatible" as the answer to the *why* is the best you
45 can do there.