From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 00:46:31
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 02/08/2016 08:18 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On 2/8/16, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
6 >> The idea here is to change the order of the providers of
7 >> virtual/udev. For existing installs this has zero impact. For
8 >> stage3 this would mean that eudev is pulled in instead of udev.
9 >
10 > Might I suggest a slightly different approach. I don't really have
11 > a strong preference on the order of providers in this virtual,
12 > though I don't really care for a direction of promoting in-house
13 > tools over standardized ones (genkernel is another one that comes
14 > to mind). Gentoo's distinctiveness should come from being
15 > source-based and offering choices, not from a large collection of
16 > internal forks (I have nothing against people working on them, but
17 > they shouldn't be the default experience).
18 >
19 > However, I think we're actually missing the bigger issue here. Why
20 > is this virtual even in @system to begin with? When I set up a
21 > chroot or some kinds of containers I don't need udev, or sysvinit
22 > (or openssh - but let's set that one aside for now).
23 >
24 > We don't stick grub or genkernel or even gentoo-sources in our
25 > stage3s. Why stick (e)udev in there?
26 >
27 > It seems like this should just be another step in the handbook -
28 > pick your desired device manager.
29 >
30 > Obviously if we produce a boot CD it will need a device manager
31 > (and kernel and bootloader and network manager), and I don't care
32 > which one it is.
33 >
34 > This just seems more like the Gentoo way, and it completely
35 > sidesteps all the controversy over defaults. We're already working
36 > on fixing the few remaining functions.sh references so that openrc
37 > can be removed from the system set as well.
40 ++ from me. I hadn't considered just considering it another option.
41 [e]udev isn't the only device manager out there, and currently
42 Gentooers must explore that *after* installation. If someone comes to
43 Gentoo knowing they want mdev and runit, for example, maybe we should
44 at least briefly mention them in the Handbook and point to their wiki
45 pages for more information. Defaults don't have to be blessed.
46
47 I'm also in favor of keeping @system small. If that means migration to
48 stage4s for the average user and stage3s remain a thing, I'm okay with
49 that. We just need solid means to maintain choice and be honest about
50 the options available when building a system, imo.
51 - --
52 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
53 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
54 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6