From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: USE=qa-test
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 02:38:12
1 Some packages, like dbus[1], have testing features that, while useful for
2 developers and arch-testers, aren't something that should be foisted on
3 users. Dbus' case is extreme, as it builds-in functions that are useful for
4 unit testing, but result in an insecure and unstable package (I just "fixed" a
5 bunch of testsuite failures i've been seeing in dbus-using packages by
6 disabling USE=test). Other packages have testsuites that take an unreasonable
7 amount of time to build/run (db, ppl, boost, that faad/faac one that takes
8 six hours), are pretty much guaranteed to fail (gcc, binutils), have strange
9 dependency quirks (can't run the tests unless the package is already
10 installed, create circular dependencies), or a dozen other situations I can't
11 think of right now.
12
13 I'd like to propose a new USE flag, qa-test or a better name, to handle these
14 cases in a consistent way. This would give us a way to differentiate between
15 tests that everyone should run and tests that only devs and arch-testers
16 would be interested in, making enabling FEATURES=test by default in a future
17 EAPI a little more palatable. Use of this flag would be up to the
18 maintainer, of course.
21 [1] http://bugs.gentoo.org/287722
24 fonts, Character is what you are in the dark.
25 gcc-porting,
26 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662