From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:44:21
1 On Monday, September 19, 2011 03:10:45 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:39:32 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday, September 18, 2011 18:16:30 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > > > '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it
6 > > > > may be better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on
7 > > > > it and no user has ever requested the static build of that
8 > > > > package.
9 > > >
10 > > > I don't see any harm with including IUSE="static-libs" for every
11 > > > package that has working/usable static libraries[1]. Why wait for
12 > > > users to request it on bugzilla when it's a near-zero-cost and
13 > > > zero-maintenance to add it to ebuilds?
14 > >
15 > > i missed this sentence from Michał's e-mail. unconditionally not
16 > > building static libraries is against policy. if you install shared
17 > > libs that get linked against, then you must provide static libraries
18 > > unconditionally as well or support IUSE=static-libs. maintainers do
19 > > not get to choose "no one has asked for it and no one in the tree is
20 > > using it thus my ebuild isnt going to".
21 >
22 > Where is that policy?
23
24 this policy predates much of the documentation process and is missed by the
25 developer handbook. it is however mentioned explicitly in the devmanual.
26
27 > AFAIK the policy was to 'follow upstream' which
28 > usually means 'shared only'. I really don't see a reason to build
29 > static libtorrent as upstream even doesn't support static linking.
30
31 by that token, i'll go ahead and remove glibc's static libraries since
32 upstream doesn't even support static linking
33 -mike