From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Allow eclasses to have fluid APIs (was: [gentoo-dev] RFC: remove php4 from depend.php and others)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 09:46:14
1 On 07/10/2010 10:34 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > If people want to allow eclasses to have fluid APIs (specifically
3 > removal of functionality), that's a discussion that needs to start on
4 > the dev level.
5 >
6 > Anyone got strong opinions on this one?
7
8 The argument was presented a long time before: we can't care about
9 things not in our tree, there might be thousands of twisted ways our
10 eclasses are used we can't control. If nothing is broken in gentoo-x86,
11 we as developers should be allowed to make the change. To ensure the
12 change is indeed not breaking stuff, RFCs to -dev are a requirement.
13
14 Everybody who copied and re-used our eclasses should be reading -dev (or
15 at least -dev-announce), anyway. Not our fault if they run an open
16 system (as in, I've not nailed all my versions down and use a static
17 tree) and do not keep up with it.
18
19 Now, I'm aware that RFC and implementation periods should depend on the
20 impact of the change - if I'm proposing to alter eutils, I better wait
21 some time AFTER a conclusion has been reached, so everybody can adapt.
22
23 That 'should' above is intentional - prescribing a fixed time period for
24 every possible change does not give devs enough flexibility and
25 implementation time may be a subject during RFC anyway. To continue the
26 eutils example: if I keep a custom overlay which depends on the removed
27 functionality, I will speak up and ask you defer the change 14 days so I
28 can fix my overlay.
29
30 Similarly, if somebody still uses the php4 bits in depend.php eclass,
31 please speak up and allow me to convince you of the php5 ways :-)