From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>, sci-physics@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current policy for overlays, was: Moving sci-physics/herwig++ to the main tree
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 10:41:19
1 On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 5:32 AM, Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I remember some discussions about ideas to make the tree more for core
4 > packages and overlay for specialized stuff. How did we decided finally
5 > what is better: having specialized stuff in overlays, or moving it to
6 > the tree when it is mature enough? What are pros and cons?
9 My advice: if you want to maintain it in the tree, then do so. If
10 not, then don't. There are a multitude of opinions on this matter,
11 and I'm not convinced that it makes sense to force either approach on
12 anybody right now.
13
14 If you want the pros/cons I'd suggest looking up the least thread
15 along these lines. I'm sure it has at least 100 posts in it. I don't
16 think anything has changed since then.
19 Rich