From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keeping licenses around
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:26:27
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 20/12/12 01:12 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >>
4 >> What about /usr/portage/licenses, for example? Some of the
5 >> licenses are required to be present on the system if the
6 >> corresponding software is installed. So users cannot legally remove
7 >> them.
8
9 Perhaps a better way to phrase that is that some of the licenses claim
10 that they are required to be present on the system if the
11 corresponding software is installed.
12
13 Licenses can't make you do things - only laws can make you do things.
14 Licenses just give you the right to "break" a law.
15
16 I think that this is legally very dubious. If people want to save
17 copies of license files they can of course do so, but I'm not sure it
18 is really worth a lot of effort to automate it. But, if somebody
19 wants to stick it in /var/db/pkg or whatever I guess it is just a few
20 thousand inodes...
21
22 Rich