From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:56:47
1 On 19/12/2012 13:44, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > Why not? From a FHS pov it seems ok...
3 >
4 > I would suggest /var/portage ...
5
6 Seriously, mine is going to be a huge veto here with as much power I can
7 put.
8
9 There is a _reason_ why stuff is added to /var/lib instead of having
10
11 /var/postgres
12 /var/mysql
13 /var/foobar
14 /var/wtf
15 /var/wth
16 /var/imtired
17
18 ...
19
20 As I said on other messages before (which you probably missed since you
21 ask "Why not?"), putting it in /var/lib or /var/db or /var/cache makes
22 it explicit how you should handle its backup.
23
24 /var/portage ? I have to look it up manually.
25
26 Let's to things properly instead of how it looks cooler.
29 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
30 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/