From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Defaulting for debug information in profiles
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 06:00:20
1 vivo75@×××××.com posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:37:49 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Some numbers:
4 >
5 > Packages installed: 1756
6 > Packages in world: 626
7 > Packages in system: 42
8 > Required packages: 1756
9 > Number to remove: 0
10
11 Heh... try my depclean summary (this is from my workstation, but the
12 netbook's summary is similar):
13
14 Packages installed: 863
15 Packages in world: 0
16 Packages in system: 0
17 Required packages: 863
18 Number removed: 0
19
20 A rather unusual depclean summary for sure, but how?
21
22 Simple enough.
23
24 1) /etc/portage/profile/packages has a whole bunch of -*cat/pkg entries
25 in it, negating everything that would otherwise be in @system, thus the 0
26 packages in system line. (When I first set that up, I negated
27 everything, then took a look at what a depclean pretend run did, and
28 added back to my sets, see the next point, anything it was trying to
29 remove that I actually needed to keep. There was surprisingly little, as
30 most of my former @system was a specified dependency of something or
31 other.)
32
33 2) My world file is empty, because I use the sets support in portage 2.2,
34 and have categorized all my former world-file entries into about two
35 dozen sets such as jed.admin, jed.kde.base.kdebase.apps, jed.net.admin,
36 and jed.net.user, which are in turn listed in my world_sets file. (jed
37 are my initials, easy way to avoid set namespace pollution and tell my
38 custom sets from those in the kde overlay, for instance.)
39
40 3) portage-2.2 pulls in the world_sets, but doesn't yet have a line in
41 depclean that reports them[1], and doesn't include them in the world line
42 either, so the depclean summary ends up being rather cryptic, to say the
43 least, the more so due to factor #1 meaning 0 packages in @system, as
44 well.
45
46 ---
47 [1] I long ago filed a bug suggesting a new world-sets line for depclean,
48 but I expect it'll be resolved/fixed about the time sets support finally
49 gets unmasked to ~arch, the status of which looks about like the tree's
50 git conversion status... in practice, target "bluesky". I guess these
51 are gentoo's Duke Nukem' Forever projects.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman