From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Ron OHara <rono@×××××××××××.au>
Cc: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>, Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintaining production systems - and losing ebuilds
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:05:50
1 On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 22:46, Ron OHara wrote:
2 > Lisa Seelye wrote:
3 >
4 > >On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 22:00, Ron OHara wrote:
7 > >>Hi,
8 > >>
9 > >>I want to raise an issue resulting from my experience so far in using
10 > >>Gentoo as the basis of production systems. Some may ask why? - but
11 > >>basically 'portage' seems to offer the very best framework for ongoing
12 > >>maintenance/admin of systems, though it's not perfect in that role.
13 > >>
14 > >>
15 > >
16 > >There are a couple things you may want to look into.
17 > >
18 > >First, have you considered setting up your own rsync repository?
19 > >Second, how about using PORTAGE_OVERLAY to save ebuilds.
24 > An rsync repository is another part of the production deployment issues,
25 > (especially for bandwidth issues) but ideally the overall process should
26 > not force me to duplicate the managment effort that already goes into
27 > maintaining the Gentoo portage 'repository'. That work is already being
28 > done so it seems silly to have to manually administer a downstream
29 > repository just to preserve 'old' ebuilds - and even then, the true
30 > repository of which ebuilds are needed for a specific system is held on
31 > that system .. not on another server.
32 >
33 > To a degree, the same thing applies to the PORTAGE_OVERLAY setting -
34 > that tree may be a suitable place to preserve older ebuilds that are
35 > being removed from the central portage, but I dont want to maintain it
36 > manually on hundreds of systems.
37
38 Two words...
39