From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding app-crypt/gentoo-keys to @system
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 06:05:08
1 On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 23:03:51 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 19-02-20 00:00:04, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
5 > > On 2/19/19 11:21 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
6 > > >>
7 > > >> What problem would this solve? (Is adding gentoo-keys to @system
8 > > >> the least bad way to solve it?)
9 > > >>
10 > > >
11 > > > It'd allow the stage tarballs (3,4) to use webrsync-gpg to verify
12 > > > portage tarballs. This is useful for the initial sync (as called
13 > > > out in our manual). Otherwise using emerge-webrsync could be
14 > > > mitm'd or otherwise messed with.
15 > >
16 > > Ok, then I agree with the goal if not the solution. This is a
17 > > portage-specific thing, namely
18 > >
19 > > FEATURES=webrsync-gpg
20 > >
21 > > that should be enabled by default on a stage3. (Making new users go
22 > > out of their way to add basic security is daft.) Portage already has
23 > > USE=rsync-verify, and I think we could either
24 > >
25 > > a) expand the meaning of that flag to include enabling
26 > > webrsync-gpg by default, and to pull in gentoo-keys; or
27 > >
28 > > b) add another (default-on) flag like USE=webrsync-verify to do it
29 > >
30 > > That flag would be enabled by default, so gentoo-keys would be
31 > > pulled in as part of @system without actually being *in* the
32 > > @system. Something along those lines would achieve the same goal in
33 > > a cleaner way.
37 > This worksforme (optional, default enabled dep of portage with a
38 > default feature flag change).
39 >
40 > > > As far how we treat deps of @system packages, since this does not
41 > > > have any deps that should help check that box for anyone
42 > > > worried.
43 > >
44 > > I meant the other way around. Once gentoo-keys is in @system,
45 > > packages will (inconsistently) omit gentoo-keys from (R)DEPEND.
46 > > There's no real policy or consensus on the matter, and it makes it
47 > > a real PITA if we ever want to remove things from @system, because
48 > > lots of packages will break in unpredictable ways.
51 > Ah, ya, that makes sense.
54 One of the things that releng has bantered about the last few years is
55 making a stage4 with these extra non @system pkgs. The stage4 would
56 allow all the extra pkgs needed for new installs without adding to
57 @system. The system set could possibly be trimmed a little more then
58 too. Then knowledgeable users could work with minimal stage3's when it
59 suits their purpose while new users doing installs get the advantage of
60 the additional pre-installed pkgs.