From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:12:49
1 On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:04:34 +0000
2 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is a bad default, as many users will *not* accept non-free
5 > licenses. I still think the best default (if we need a default at all)
6 > would be the minimal required for a stage3.
7
8 Can we get some statistical data on this? I hear people swear both ways
9 that either "more people use only free software" or "more people use any
10 licensed" software.
11
12 My $0.02 is that if this gets implemented, it should be put in so that the
13 default behavior is like portage is now, and if you choose to restrict
14 yourself to only free software or other licensing scheme, you can make the
15 necessary changes yourself. Otherwise you will have a ton of users asking
16 "why can't i emerge package foo?", or filing bugs because of this, etc.
17 >From a support perspective, if this gets implemented, I'm forwarding all
18 of these questions, bugs, etc to the "free and only free" software folks.
19
20 Please dont' take away one "freedom" for another.
21
22 Cheers,
23 --
24 Jason Wever