From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] xfce & kde on gentoo
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 05:33:10
1 I've figured out part of the problem about why xfce and/or kde won't run on normal users, but a few pieces are still missing.
2
3 1) either you set up bad persmissions on the snapshot I downloaded or the alternate procedure for unpacking the snapshot did not retain all permissions.
4
5 2) I've done the following, and things work better now
6 chmod 1777 /tmp /var/tmp
7 chmod 666 /dev/null
8
9 3) now I can run xfce and the icons are clickable, sylpheed and konqueror will come up as normal user under xfce, but there's still some pesky permission missing, because neither can reach the network (dns doesn't work). What permission is wrong that prevents this?
10
11 4) Even if I echo kde21 >.wm, startx brings up xfce (root or normal user). How do I get kde to run? I still can't get kde to start as the window manager.
12
13 TIA
14 --
15 Collins Richey