From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: license group file format
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:00:50
1 On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 21:43:56 +0200 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > At the risk of reopening a large can of worms, can somebody explain
4 | > to me why the license groups idea won't run into the same conceptual
5 | > issues that derailed GLEP 29 (USE groups)? Am I missing something
6 | > obvious?
7 |
8 | Maybe my memory is wrong, but wasn't the problem only that people
9 | couldn't agree on one set of semantics for negations and being afraid
10 | of confusing users?
11
12 No. The big problem with use groups was that they were designed to
13 solve one particular problem: bulk enabling / disabling of use flags,
14 but certain people also wanted to use them for use flag categorisation,
15 for which the proposal sucked.
18 Ciaran McCreesh
19 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
20 Web : http://ciaranm.org/